How Our Animals Transitioned

How Our Animals Transitioned

Here are a few examples of how our animals transitioned at home.  I believe assisting an animal with its End of Life Transition is an honor and a special gift.


Our first at home experience was Brandy May 1, 1998. She was one of the puppies from Bandit & Bridgette born in 1987. She had surgery and was doing great, then things changed rapidly. We offered her water and food, blending it with vitamins using a small baster. We were in denial what was really happening. She had said she wanted to stay and that gave us hope. She was trying the best she could, however, her body was too weak. Brandy would be lucid, awake and then go into a coma like state, fluctuating back and forth for about 4 days until she transitioned.


He came up to me at the beach one day, wagging his tail, wet and his coat full of sand. He laid his head in my lap and went to sleep. I spoke to several people that lived around the area and they said he had been loose on the beach for 2 months. Bandit was lucid, mobile and eating up until the time his soul left. He wanted to be inside the house instead of outside with Bridgette in our large covered dog area. At that time we had 9 cats, and inside space was limited as we were acclimating our latest rescue dog, Dharma to the family. We made a large bed for Bandit and Dharma in the garage so we could be with him. The cats would come in and visit them. He transitioned October 1998 within 2 days, and he was calm and peaceful.


He was shot by a neighbor in 1982 and the vet could not save him. I was shocked that someone would shoot an animal in our neighborhood where I was raised. My sister came over and took me to the animal shelter where Stuffin and I immediately connected.



At Animal Control there was Stuffin, sticking her paws through the cage holding my hand. I couldn’t resist this loving 8-week old kitten. During my grieving for Skeeter she licked my tears helping me to heal. She was with me 19 years before she stopped eating and her body began shutting down. She chose a large basket with a pillow for her bed. I would turn her over and change her bedding as needed. All she wanted was to be close to me.


She was in a litter of kittens bound for the animal shelter when I saw her.  I picked her up, she nuzzled my neck and I brought her home. She and Stuffin were always together. She peacefully transitioned at home with my sister in 2000 while I was living in Arizona.


Up until the last hour before her transition, she was eating, drinking, was mobile and had followed us out to the garden laying down next to us while we were weeding. She began meowing, wanting to be on our laps, then followed me into the house. She meowed, I picked her up, her body convulsed almost falling out of my arms.  I set her down, called my sister to come and within an hour she transitioned.

Bandy (Lab/Belgian Tervuren Mix):

She had planned on transitioning before we were to leave for a 10 day trip to Hawaii for a family wedding. Bandy requested that we be with her when she transitioned and she had hoped she could do it on her own. She weighed 60 pounds and was used to living outside in a large covered pen with our other dogs. One day she lost strength in her hind end, couldn’t walk on her own and we moved her to our living room.  We supported her hind end while she walked outside to go. She loved all the attention and would whine if she could not see one of us. Her appetite was normal and she was lucid to the last day.

The day before we were to leave on our trip we knew our pet sitter could not continue with the care that was necessary.  I talked with her and asked if she was ready to leave, she said yes but needed vet’s assistance. We made the appointment for that afternoon and were with her until the end.


She walked up our front walkway one day and came right to me.  She was with me 15 years, a soul companion to Cassidy, they were usually in an embrace together. She had surgery for 2 large cancerous lumps on her throat and within 2 months the lumps returned. She requested not to return to the vet. During her week of transition, she wanted to be held most of the time.  She loved to be draped over my shoulder when I was sitting at my computer.  She curled up in my arm, laid outside in the sun or next to the water bowl (which were unusual for her). It was challenging for me to do most things while holding her, but I don’t regret a moment of it. It became clear it was important for me to be fully present with her and not be thinking about anything else.


He was with me 17 1/2 years, he showed up in our backyard one day huddled under a wheel barrow in the middle of our 4 barking dogs. Two months prior to his transition he had lost weight even though he was eating 3 times a day with his normal routine. He began coming back into my office wanting to be held. He was very vocal at night with a guttural meow.  His last night, he jumped into my sister’s chair and began meowing with a meow I had never heard from him. I immediately sensed he was transitioning. I put him on my lap, then on my heart and talked to him. Then he laid down on a table between us while we placed our hands gently touching him. It took him less than 4 hours to completely transition quietly and peacefully.


Our mom’s neighbor called when we were visiting mom saying there’s a stray dog outside and won’t come to anyone.  I grabbed some cheese and walked over to where she was.  She was hesitant at first, but the cheese won her over.  Within 5 minutes she was calm and followed me back to mom’s house.  We brought her back home with us.  Sadie made herself right at home with the cats, she refused to be outside with the other dogs!  The cats didn’t mind except when she’d steal their food.  She was with us 17 1/2 years, always followed me wherever I went.  She helped us through our mom’s transition and was busy helping with planetary work.   Her transition took about a week, she wanted to be close to us all the time.  She stopped eating 2 days before her actual transition.

Infinite Love for each of these beautiful souls, forever in my heart.

Suzi Dalling © 2017